UC – to claim or not to claim

Client receives PIP daily living at the standard rate. Her husband is her carer and gets CA and IS. They also get HB and CTC.

It appears that the family would be around £30 per week worse off if they switched to Universal Credit, unless the client is assessed as having LCWRA, in which case they would be around £50 per week better off by switching.

Would it make sense for the client to claim NSESA in order to get a WCA carried out, and for the couple to switch to UC if and only if the client is assessed as having LCWRA? (I haven’t asked, but am almost certain that the client hasn’t made any NI contributions in recent years, so there’s no realistic chance that she would qualify for a payment of NSESA.)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.