UC assistance with Service Charges

We have a client who has been in receipt of UC 9+ months without earned income and is now getting the SMI loan to assist with their main mortgage (no rental costs). It has come to light they are also liable to pay service charges.

Would any extra UC for assistance with service charges represent a further loan or award of benefit in the same way as housing costs for rent? If extra UC was awarded, would the housing element be separated to show payment towards to mortgage and service charges; I presume that if it did, the latter would be paid direct to the client?



Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.