Pension Credit or Universal Credit

Good morning I hope someone can offer me some advice.

I am contacting as there is a couple who live in Dorset, England at the moment who are planning on moving to North Wales to live. They are on Guaranteed Pension Credit at the moment and are getting full HB etc. One is in receipt of her state pension however her husband is only 61 and therefore not getting his state pension as yet. He is in receipt of PIP and getting a private pension.
Someone have advised them that they will continue to claim HB in the new LA as is is classed as change of circs – and they can remain on HB.
However looking at the regulations – I think that they will have to claim UC as they have moved from one LA to another and as he has not reached pensionable age then they will have to claim UC.
They will be on much less money and will only get around £35 p/m of UC
If this is the case they would be better off staying on PC of over £225 p/m however they will not get any help towards their rent.

Can anyone offer some advice please?

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.