No HC under UC

Client had joint tenancy with partner. They separated and she left the property, informing the Council. Client left with rent arrears. Council not willing to offer him single tenancy until arrears are cleared. Client been unable to get HC through UC because he has no tenancy. Now got £5000 rent arrears.. Council knew about this when they asked for direct payments from his UC in December 2020. No support, now looking to evict.
Would his previous tenancy (joint) not show UC that he had a tenancy and this is an issue with the Council not willing to change it until he cleared the arrears. Obviously he can’t afford the rent on basic UC.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.