Mixed couple moving onto Pension Credit or not?

Hi there

I have a mixed-age couple, one reaching SRP/Pension Credit age on 15 December, and the other won’t reach Pension Age for 10 years.

They currently have a joint claim for ESA/HB, with the older member as the main claimant. Looking at everything, it looks like because of this, they will have to claim UC rather than Pension Credit or remain on ESA when he reaches PC age, as trying to change the main claimant would trigger migration to UC, and he is no longer eligible for ESA as he is no longer working age.

There is no SDP payable so no gateway issues with making a claim for UC.

Is there any way they can remain on ESA or Claim GPC, or is their only option UC

Many thanks!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.