Claiming UC while estranged parent claims Child Benefit (CHB) for you

I’m advising a 19 year old who is about to start FT non-advanced education, and I initially advised that she is eligible to claim UC as she is under 21 and without parental support (subject to the usual rules)

It now transpires that her estranged parent still claims CHB for her (which is paid into my client’s bank account).

Will this prevent her from claiming UC?  I can’t find anything to say it’s not possible, but I have a feeling at the back of my mind that I may be missing something!


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.