Carer’s Allowance / element

I’m sure this is a simple question for everyone else here, I just can’t seem to find the answers. The young son of a client of ours has just been granted DLA (middle rate personal care, lower rate getting around), and so I’m trying to make sure she gets her maximum entitlement. She is now receiving the disabled child element within her UC award, but should she also receive the carer’s element within UC, and/or make a claim for Carer’s Allowance?! Can she receive both of these carer-specific benefits, or only one, and which one leaves her better off? Carer’s Allowance is more per month, but is it treated as income and will therefore reduce her UC? Thank you in advance!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.