Care leaver over 21


Grateful for any thoughts as client is in a difficult position.

Have a client who just turned 21 and who was previously receiving Income Support as he’s in non advanced education and will be next year too. As he approached 21, they wanted evidence of his full time education. He didn’t provide this and says he can’t till September due to covid (I can probably resolve this). IS suspended as a result.

He claimed UC due to IS suspending but was refused UC as he’s in full time education and over 21. Is he entitled to either of them? I’m not convinced he is.

Housing costs are covered by HB as he’s in supported accommodation (but no disabilities -has been in supported accommodation since he left care).

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.