Can a child / young person claim UC whilst in Residential school or college?

I have 4 clients who are 16/17.  They are in the care of the local authority and placed in suitable residential schools/colleges/ homes.  They have severe learning /physical/mental health/autism disabilities and receive the mobility component of PIP only due to their residence.

Can you advise please under which circumstances they might be able to apply for UC?  I have been given conflicting information and don’t want to waste time or cause them to become dysregulated if they have to attend a Job Centre, especially for no reason.  I don’t know exactly when they will transfer to young adults and be moved on. 

Thanks in anticipation

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.